Every January people get so excited (or dread – depending on your mood) to make their New Year’s Resolutions. So while it’s still January – I thought I would weigh in on this subject. One of my friend’s summed it up nicely the other day while brunching saying “I don’t need a New Year to make changes for my life.” While I do agree with her – I also recognize that the new year is a great time to take stock of your life and what you want to achieve.
I feel like most resolutions are made with an underlying tone of self hate: I’m too fat, I’m too thin, I hate my job, I don’t make enough money, my cat hates me, blah blah blah. Let’s make 2016 the year of love and acceptance of the most important person in your life, YOU. Here are some tips to make your resolutions something you are actually excited about:
- Add something that makes you happy –
- Example: I LOVE to dance. I want to add a dance class back into my schedule. You can find great deals on Groupon, LivingSocial, Travel Zoo, etc on different classes or activities. Most places also offer a new student discount – just call and ask!
- Give yourself an OBTAINABLE challenge –
- Example: I shop for clothes like I have nothing in my closet and let’s be honest, it’s a bit excessive. So I have given myself a 60 day NO CLOTHES SHOPPING Challenge. I printed out a simple 60 day countdown I found online and wrote the reasons I want to save money on it. (Travel, get out of debt and make bigger purchases). It is now taped to my bathroom mirror with a sharpie in my toothbrush holder so I can mark it off every night. The key is CONVENIENCE and REWARDS. When I am in London, I can promise you I won’t be missing that sweater I almost bought.
- Look at the things you are ALREADY doing that feed your spirit –
- Examples: If you have volunteered at an organization you liked, find out when they need help next. If you love concerts, find out when your favorite band is playing and buy tickets. If you love hiking, find a hiking guide and go on a new adventure.
Just a reminder for you in 2016. This is YOUR life. If something doesn’t make you happy, change it. If something does make you happy, embrace it.