This past week I spent cruising the California Coast with my parents. My dad had training in San Diego and they were departing for a cruise from San Francisco, so I became their PCH chauffeur. This excursion lead us to many places I would not have thought of to go myself, including the USS Midway, Ronald Reagan Library & Museum, and Hearst Castle.
This trip made me realize how much California has to offer that I have not taken advantage of. I have lived in Los Angeles for almost eight years and have been to exactly one museum of note. I have said many times how important travel is to experience art, culture and other ways of life, but I am not even immersing myself in my own. LA has more museums than any city in America and I have only been to ONE!
I am on a mission to change that. After pouring through “must see” lists, I made my own first small list to accomplish. For you deal seekers like me, I also found when they are free:
- LACMA – general admission is free to LA County residents with proof of residency after 3 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
- Abbot Kinney First Fridays – Free
- Natural History Museum – Free on the first Tuesday of the month, except in July and August
- La Brea Tarpits – Free general admission on the first Tuesday of every month, except in July and August.
- Huntington Library and Gardens – Free the first Thursday of every month, but tickets are required in advance
Let’s get cultural!